What’s painless, doesn’t take much time, is good for your overall health, and can save you money? Professional teeth cleaning!
Really? Why should you make the trip to the dentist, especially if you already brush and floss (correctly), after every meal? Because dental plaque, the sticky bacteria that builds up on your teeth, starts forming on your teeth about 4-12 hours after you brush.
Consider plaque to be your mouth’s number one enemy. It accumulates on your teeth and produces acids that attack your tooth’s enamel, causing cavities, and it also causes gum disease, which can lead to tooth loss.
Luckily, when you have your teeth cleaned, twice a year, you’re not just taking care of your overall, but your overall health too.
Here are 6 Ways Teeth Cleaning Benefits You.
- Prevent Cavities & Gum Disease – It Fights Off Plaque
Even with daily flossing and brushing, plaque will build up on your teeth, especially in those hard to reach places. Eventually it mineralizes on your teeth and forms tartar, a hard, yellow or brown deposit that tightly adheres to your teeth. Tartar can’t be removed with a toothbrush, or by flossing, only by your friendly hygienist or dentist. And if you don’t scrub off the plaque and tartar, it will eventually create cavities, as well as gum disease.
- Keep Your Teeth Smooth and Shiny + Your Smile Bright – Drink coffee, tea or wine? Use tobacco? These will all stain your teeth throughout the year. During your dental cleaning session, we’ll polish your teeth to help remove some of the built up stains, as well as return them to their original smoothness. You’ll have a nice shiny, smile, and your teeth will feel
- It’s Good for You – Gum disease is linked to other serious health conditions, such as diabetes or heart disease. Your bi-annual teeth cleanings help prevent gum disease, which improves your chances of avoiding some of these serious health issues. As part of your teeth cleaning, we’ll also perform an oral cancer screening to keep an eye out for any signs of cancer or precancerous conditions within your mouth.
- Keep Your Breath Fresh – Even if you brush and floss daily, plaque still builds up in those heard to reach areas, which can cause bad breath. Regular teeth cleanings can help reduce the bacteria that causes bad breath. Bonus benefit: Not having bad breath is benefit everyone around you will appreciate too!
- Prevent Tooth Loss – Built up plaque leads to gum disease. When gum disease advances, plaque moves further down the tooth where it can damage the supporting bone in your jaw. This can cause your teeth to loosen and lead to your losing a tooth. Fortunately, your risk of tooth loss is greatly reduced simply by having your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year.
- Save Money – Having professional teeth cleanings are a major component of your preventative dental care. Most dental plans will cover your cleanings, or a portion of the them. Even without dental insurance, having your teeth cleaned twice a year will greatly reduce the possibility of needing more serious, and costly, dental treatments in the future – such as needing dental fillings, or needing to replace a missing tooth.
During your teeth cleaning, which usually takes 45 minutes to an hour, we’ll gently clean your teeth, and help make the experience as relaxing as possible. Think of it as a visit to your Burien smile spa. If it’s been a while since you’ve had your teeth cleaned, or you’re looking for a more gentle touch, please call (206) 242-0066 to schedule an appointment with us, or contact us online!